this is the place where i poured stories of my life, my thoughts, my feelings also my ideas.
there's excitement, sadness, laugh, desperate, anger, happiness, and other kind emotions.
i just hope that we can learn something..

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mie Ayam Jamur


I've got Mie Ayam Jamur Gajah Mada cravings since weekend, so I googled the recipe and got tons of them. I picked several that I really think delicious and got the photo to justify (I know I am that shallow hehe).. Finally I mixed three recipes and got my own Mie Ayam Jamur a la GM.

It is a simple dish, noodle, chicken and mushroom, a bit bok choy, spring onion, fried shallot and clear chicken broth. I was a bit terrified because I am not a good cook and this dish looks simple to eat but will be hard to prepare :p

Fingers crossed, I prepared all the ingredients and hoping it will taste good (even though I knew it would'nt taste anything like GM's because I don't know their secret recipe).

Here's the recipe :

*for the chicken and mushroom toppings*
1 chicken breast
3 chicken thigh fillet
8 pcs mushrooms (they are huge), sliced
1 pc ginger as big as your thumb), sliced then keprek
5 cloves garlic, uleg with salt
3 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp salty soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp corn starch
salt and pepper to taste

*for chicken broth*
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 shallot, sliced
2 spring onions
salt and pepper to taste

1 package of ready to use noodles (500gr)
3 bunch of pak choy, cut 5cm
1 spring onions, sliced finely
sesame oil

Directions:
I don't have chicken frames to make the stock so I just use the chicken fillets to make the broth. So I just wash the fillets, prepare 4 cloves of garlic (crushed), 1 shallots (sliced) and spring onions (tied). Heat the pot, add a little bit oil, cook garlic and shallot until fragrant, dump the fillets into the pot and spring onions also, lots of water to cover the fillet and a bit of pepper and salt to suit your taste. After 30-40 minutes, take the fillets, let cool and slice into bite size. Strain the chicken broth (I got almost 1 litre of stock, I use half of it to make the chicken mushroom topping), set aside. Throw away the shallots and spring onion, and put back the crushed garlic into 500 ml stock to make the chicken topping mushroom.

In a wok, heat a little bit of oil, cook garlic and ginger untill fragrant, add chicken pieces and sliced mushroom, stir. Add salty soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce and 400ml chicken stock. The problem is, I used cooked chicken so they took a little bit longer (than raw chicken) to absorb the soy sauce which give them the sweet taste and beautiful brownish colour. I mixed 1 tbsp cornstarch with 100ml chicken stock and add to the wok to thicken the sauce. Let it simmer for another 30 minutes to reduced and you will get beautiful thick chicken mushroom sauce. Yum!

After that, I prepare 1,5 litre water bring to boil and cook the noodles until tender but still chewy. I did not add oil into the water because I prefer my noodle clean, and after all I need to cut back my oil/fat intake :) Strain the noodle, wash with cold water, put in the mixing bowl. Do the same with the pak choy. Slice the spring onions finely, set aside. To prevent the noodles from getting dry and stick to one another, I just drizzle them with the sesame oil and sauce from chicken and mushroom toppings, but please do this when you are going to eat this dish right away otherwise the noodle will absorb the sauce and become too tender.

To serve, just place the noodle into your bowl, set the veggies, chicken mushroom toppings and sauce, springkle of fried shallots. In another bowl (smaller one) prepare hot chicken broth, drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with green onion.

All set and ready. After a few hours in the kitchen, the famous noodle is FINALLY ready, yes it feels took forever to cook especially when you have 1 year toddler who refuse to nap and insist to join you in the kitchen inspecting every drawer and pantry door. Abenk went home just in time for lunch, had two portions of Mie Ayam Jamur a la GM.. And what about me? Well, I just smiled and pat my self in the back :)

I wished I had time to make the condiments like sambal dan the chicken oil (to be mixed into the noodle) but next time I will try to make them a day in advance.

Vinegar Chili Condiment:
12 pcs of red chilis – boil till soft
2 pcs crushed garlic
cuka, sugar & salt to taste
Process them all together and serve fresh.

Special Chicken Oil
1 or 2 cup of fresh cooking oil
chicken skin/fat
2 pcs crushed garlic
Heat oil on low heat, mix in chicken skin/fat & garlic, leave it cook till the skin curled. Let cool & keep in fridge till the next day.

1 comment:

Shend said...

Mieayam is my favorite food, and I so want to eat it after I saw your article