this is the place where i poured stories of my life, my thoughts, my feelings also my ideas.
there's excitement, sadness, laugh, desperate, anger, happiness, and other kind emotions.
i just hope that we can learn something..

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Skull Bag, refashioned from skirt

Another refashion project, skirt to bag.. 

As I have wrote long long a go, I like skull images, and when I saw this H&M skull skirt on a thrift shop, I snatched it right away because I got a premonition that the skirt will be reborn as a bag. It was a teeny tiny skirt, and the lady on the register got questioning look because there was no way I can squeeze in to that skirt. I paid  AUD4, washed it and tried it. Label stated size UK36 which will be suitable for AU10 or small 12, while I am a larger 12. But the fabric was medium cotton with 2% elastane, so it stretches a bit and it fits! YAY! But of course I have to suck my -used to have abs but now bulging- belly or the skirt will riding up north.. Another reason to grab the scissors and start prepped the pieces. 

Here's the before photo : pleated skirt with skull pattern all over 


Prepped the pieces : black canvas for interior and pockets, bias tape, cotton webbing strap, hardware for adjusting the strap, magnetic snap and keystrap. At this point I have sewn back the H&M care label to the black lining..

Finished bag : not bad for my first attempt making messenger bag/diaper bag without commercial pattern. I use this bag as inspiration but I added width and pockets and lining to make the skull bag more interesting. Too bad the original skirt was too short and the unpicked pleats still shown on the flap eventhough I have washed/ironed/steamed the fabric over and over.. :(  My husband said my bag looked great, especially the adjustable doublesided strap. Well, if he like it so much, we can use it as a nappy bag and he will got the chance to use the bag, IF we got other baby..


I made two extendable pockets in front of the bag (covered by the flap), I can put my coin purse, mobile, candy, even noelle's AVENT 260ml bottle.. I also sew keystrap and 2 pockets inside the bag, suitable for my wallet, pen, mobile or pocket camera.


Can't wait to showcase my new handmade skull bag..

-=G=-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome results only born from a detail oriented person....love your "cold hand", mama Noelle!!!